Thursday, March 24, 2011

Personal Stereo Recorder - Zoom H1?

Ok, so here's the thing... I've started singing exercises to try and fill the gaps in my range and generally improve my voice. Problem is, I can't listen to myself... I need a recorder.




I've played in bands for quite a while now, and have built up a lot of equipment, but when it comes to recording, everything I have is pretty much studio based. It's all good stuff, but what I really need is a portable stereo recorder which I can carry in the car and record vocals, then play back immediately to see what I'm doing wrong.

So far, I'm honestly baffled by all of the options, from stereo dictaphones to four track digital recorders which fit in a pocket. Prices ranging from £50 up to £300 and more. More options and controls than I ever knew I needed.

Anyway, this is my way of asking for help. So far, I reckon the Zoom H1 is going to be the best bet. Available for around £80 on Ebay, I love the fact it's simple... Every setting or control has it's own switch or button, no menus to fiddle with. After all, the main use is going to be a personal voice recorder.

For recording demos and ideas, mounting this on a stand and playing guitar or piano straight in would be very quick, and as it has a manual record level option, it could also be used to record full band gigs.

Truth is, I'm finding it hard to see any down sides for my usage, so I want you to give me some. Have you got one of these? Or have you got another machine which you think does these things better? Post a comment, add your views. I really need to know if this is the right thing to buy, cause I'm struggling to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment