Friday, November 26, 2010

Big Kid Bunks Off To See Harry Potter

Ok, you may have noticed that this is my fifth post today... Truth is, I've been putting off this blogging business for so long, now I'm trying to fit my whole week in.




Anyway, I reckon that the whole point of a blog is to share the moments which are a bit different. You know, when something isn't part of the normal weekly routine (which for most of us working stiffs is: Wake up, drink coffee, go to work. Work far too long, go home. Play with kids. Eat Dinner, watch crappy TV, go to bed. Repeat five times).

Since the last Harry Potter film came out, we have had a baby. Now, I'm all for babies, they are very cute, and I love him to bits but...

Sorry, he's not coming to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, not at
  10 months old. We've never had a babysitter since he arrived, so didn't know who to call. As my wife and I both work, we do have a childminder however :-) Cue some furrowed brows and some lateral thinking and a plan forms... I would book some bogus events in my diary and clear off to the cinema at 10:30 in the morning while baby is at the childminders :-D

Was it worth it? I'm not sure.

I'm always happy to revel in my 'Big Kid' status, and the idea of playing truant to watch a film and stuff myself with popcorn seemed like a brilliant idea. I couldn't wait to be a teenager all over again, or at least feel like one for a couple of hours... I just didn't plan on twenty fi
 ve years of being responsible getting in the way.

Firstly, the diary. As I work for myself, the diary wasn't going to fool anyone. I booked out three hours for nothing more covert than "Meeting with Harry Potter".

My phone kept vibrating. I tried to ignore it. I realized that, being self employed, this might be work I was missing out on, just because I wanted to watch a film. I was determined. I kept ignoring it. My wife was trying not to doze off, as the baby had kept her up most of the night (teething).

I thought we'd pretty much have the theatre to ourselves at 10:30 on a Tuesday morning, but no, there were a few others... Almost all younger than us, except for the guy in the front row who looked like the comic book shop guy out of The Simpsons.

So, between feeling guilty for bunking off, worrying about a teething baby, a phone vibrating every twenty minutes or so, nudging my better half every now and then to make sure she was awake and having at least two toilet breaks (when you order a pepsi in the Showcase these days, they hand it to you in a bucket), I'm not sure if I enjoyed the film or not.

I'll let you know when it comes out on DVD :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment